Friday 22 March 2013

Tomb Raider 2013 review!

Hey guys, sorry for the late review, but now I’m back again and reviewing the new Tomb Raider game by Crystal Dynamics and Square Enix. Enjoy. 
 
The game shows the origin story of the young Lara Croft who became shipwrecked on a uncharted island somewhere near the region of Japan. There she is, forced to use all her ingenuity and strength to survive against the hostile locals, but also to discover the secrets of the island.
Due to the game being the origin story, it is a completely new beginning for the Tomb Raider series.


First of all the story is very compelling, however in the first couple of hours I did feel it was very similar to the Lost series. Why I think that is because other people get stranded on a mysterious island that has hostile locals, plus some weird un-dead zombie people. I quickly get over it. What I did have trouble with (well it made me laugh more than anything) was how unmatched the game play was to the cut scenes. What I mean by this is that Lara's character is very different from the one you actually control (in the beginning). You start off with a few cut scenes of Lara being very afraid and being very hesitant when killing a deer to eat. But then a few seconds later, you shoot arrows until the cows come home; killing wildlife around you for extra XP. Later, Lara kills her first person where one minute she is crying on the floor and the next, shooting off rounds into everything that moves.


Other than the differences of character between game play, Lara's character is well written. In fact, so well that other supporting characters seem very two dimensional in comparison! You do get to hear about what the other characters are thinking in little diaries you find around the island which adds a little bit of depth and substance, but not much more.


The controls and game play were what really hooked me; fighting, moving, jumping, climbing and shooting all felt really smooth and easy. Thank God there were no annoying camera angles! Crystal Dynamics did a really good job there.


The island Lara is stuck on is immense and fantastic to explore. Plus, if you can’t be asked to explore during the main story you can go back and explore the places you missed with some new gear after you finish it.


The puzzles themselves were not that difficult, there was only one puzzle which made me think a little harder, but luckily you don’t have solve any of the puzzles to continue in the main plot; going against the tomb raider series.


Looking back, I do have some minor complaints about this game, but to be honest I loved this game so much so that I couldn't wait to come back from work to play it. I loved the story, the action packed game play and the vastness of the island. It really made me want to look around for new treasures. I could continue explaining pros for this game for ages but bottom line is, if you want a game to kill a few hours while exploring a huge island, solving puzzles and killing hostile locals I really recommend this game to you. 9/10
BTW the multi-player sucked.

No comments:

Post a Comment